The Kitchen Armoire - A Combination of Style and Storage
The kitchen armoire - what a stylish, adaptive piece of furniture!
Let me start by saying I love furniture. I could spend hours just wandering around furniture stores and outlets (and have done this on many occassions). So, when I was coming up with storage and organization ideas for the kitchen of course furniture came to mind.
Most people think armoires are just for bedrooms, but this is just not true. In fact more and more people are interested in the "furniture" look for their kitchens. It adds a focal point to any wall and you won't believe how much storage space can be squeezed out of these adaptable pieces of furniture. Below is a list of ways to add a kitchen armoire to your space.
3 Ways to Add an Armoire to Your Kitchen
- Purchase a new armoire - There are just oodles of furniture stores out there with a variety of armoires. You can select based on size, color, and style. The only disadvantage is that most are not specifically made for kitchens. In this case you may have to customize it yourself if you need special shelving or hooks. Armoire Gallery has a huge selection of armoires for your kitchen.
- Refurbish an antique - Many of you may have an old armoire in another room or in an attic just waiting to be used to its full potential. Sometimes these are the best finds! They are bursting with character and sometimes have sentimental value so why not use them everyday!
- Unfinished furniture - Many unfinished furniture stores have armoires just waiting to be adapted. They have many wood varieties, stains and paint finishes to satisfy even the most demanding customers.
Do you already have a kitchen armoire and need ideas to customize the look? Below are some ideas to help get the most out of your kitchen armoire.
Ideas to Customize Your Kitchen Armoire
- If your armoire already has a clothing bar at the top use that to hang your pots using "S" hooks found in local hardware stores.
- Use a pot lid rack to corral your lids for the hanging pots and place it on a shelf.
- Hang hooks or a dowel on the door for towels.
- Customize your doors by using chalkboard paint on the interior. Then everytime you need to add an item to your grocery list just write it on the door. If you have children you may consider doing this on the bottom of the door where they can reach. Maybe consider adding a small basket of toys also.
- Customize the inside of another door by adding a bulletin board. Here you can keep notes, to do list, grocery list, post recipes or whatever you find useful in your daily kitchen tasks.
- If you are an avid baker and tend to accumulate baking items, consider using a kitchen armoire as your baking center. Everything from a commercial size mixer to jars of flour, sugar, and spices can be accomodated here. Make shelf dividers for baking pans, molds, and specialty pans.
- Keep a drawer special for recipe cards.
- Add your favorite cookbooks that you use often and store the rest in another location.
- Place utensils in a decorative ceramic jar or hang them on one of the doors with hooks
- Customize the bottom by adding freestanding or built in pull out drawers.
These are just some ideas for a kitchen armoire but it is only limited by your imagination. People are coming to appreciate the time when life was little slower and meals where actually eaten at home not in a car. A kitchen armoire can add that old fashioned feeling to your kitchen and bring organization, storage, and style.
For more information on organizing your kitchen
|Do you need more organizing ideas? Then try our monthly Home Organizing Ideas Newsletter. It is filled with original ideas and expert advice to help you reach your organizing goals. Receive my special free booklet on how you can start organizing your desk, garage, papers, closet and more! It's FREE so SIGN UP NOW by clicking on the link on the top right of this page!
Armoirgallery.com has an array of armoires to choose from...check them out by clicking on the graphic below.
Top of Page
From Kitchen Armoire Back to Home Page