Unique Storage Ideas for Your Home
to Help You Organize With Style
Just by browsing antique shops or flee markets on a weekend, you can discover many unique storage ideas for any room in your home. And what better way to not only add beautiful storage items to your decor, but to add some charm and history as well!
Below are several popular antique finds that are truly unique storage ideas for you to consider the next time you are out shopping. When you are searching for these items, keep in mind that you are looking for storage pieces. For example, that ornate sofa table may be pretty, but that bookcase will provide you with much more storage room. You will see that many of the ideas are listed under more than one room category. That is the beauty of these pieces—they can be used in almost any room of the house!
Unique Storage Ideas for the Living Room:
- Curio cabinet – Display your pretty accessories in the glass window and then store CDs, DVDs, old magazines, games, or extra remote controls in the wood cabinet below.
- Bookcases – These aren’t just for books anymore. Add CDs, DVDs, a chess set, vases, picture frames, and more.
- Armoires – These make very attractive TV entertainment centers—ideal for storing all of your electronic items and accessories. This can also serve as a nice bar for storing beverages and barware.
- An old trunk – A useful piece to store DVDs, CDs, throw blankets, pillows, games, or toys.
- Baskets – Small baskets are great for holding your collection of remote controls, while larger baskets are nice to hold throw blankets or magazines.
- Commercial boxes – These are a creative use for storing toys or throw blankets.
- Cutlery trays – This is a fun way to keep small items organized on a coffee table, such as remote controls, pen and paper, playing cards, etc.
Unique Storage Ideas for the Dining Room:
- Buffets and hutches – These are lovely for storing your better dining ware, flatware, tablecloths, napkins, etc.
- Curio cabinets – When used in the dining room, these can display fine crystal, wine glasses, pretty vases, and elegant candlesticks.
- Bookcase – You can dress up a unique bookcase and it will make a nice presentation piece for your elegant dining room accessories.
- Shelf – A smart use of wall space to display vases, crystal, and more.
Unique Storage Ideas for the Kitchen:
- Roll top desk – This is convenient to store cookbooks, clip coupons, keep the phone and phone book, and pay your bills.
- Pots or vases – These are charming to hold kitchen utensils.
- Enamel jugs – These make exquisite flower pots for freshly cut or silk flowers.
- Enamelware and graniteware – A unique option for your favorite kitchen accessories.
- Baskets – A pretty place to drop off the mail, or ideal for holding keys, fruit, or napkins.
- Jars – “Clearly” a great way to collect the family’s spare change.
Unique Storage Ideas for the Bedroom:
- Small dressers – These could be used as lovely bedside tables for storing books, magazines, reading glasses, and extra linens.
- Old trunks – These are ideal for storing extra linens, memorabilia, or out-of-season clothes and accessories.
- Armoire – A beautiful furniture piece that is generally high enough so you can watch TV in bed. It is also nice for storing linens, sweaters, books, and more.
- End tables – These ornate tables can offer storage inside for bedtime books, remote controls, etc.
- Cutlery trays – This is a different way to store and showcase jewelry, watches, spare change, and other pocket items.
Unique Storage Ideas for the Bathroom:
- Old trunk – This provides a storage alternative for bath linens or extra bathroom supplies.
- Armoire – As long as it isn’t too big, this can make a sweet option for storing bath linens and bathroom supplies.
- Baskets – Make bath towels or toilet paper accessible by using wicker baskets.
- Wrought iron towel racks – These dress up any wall and save valuable cupboard space.
- Hand-crafted wood bathroom vanity – Perfect for laying out makeup and displaying pretty perfume bottles.
- Jars – These are practical for storing cotton balls, Q-tips, and other bathroom necessities.
- Storage towers with cubbies – These tall and slender cabinets are ideal for linens, toiletries, cleaning supplies, and more.
- Unique pots or vases – A whimsical touch for toothbrushes, hairbrushes, makeup brushes, or combs.
- Shelf – Save counter space by placing your perfume bottles on a shelf.
Unique Storage Ideas for the Mudroom:
- Deacon’s bench or old church pew – This is a useful item for a hallway in the mudroom area.
- Old trunks – A convenient place to store athletic equipment and seasonal items such as boots, gloves, and scarves.
- Toy chest – This is a fun addition to store children’s or pet toys.
So the next time you are shopping at an antique store or flee market, keep your eyes open for these unique storage ideas and you will find beauty and space—all in one!
Top of Page
From Unique Storage Ideas Back to Home Page
|Do you need more organizing ideas? Then try our monthly Home Organizing Ideas Newsletter. It is filled with original ideas and expert advice to help you reach your organizing goals. Receive my special free booklet on how you can start organizing your desk, garage, papers, closet and more! It's FREE so SIGN UP NOW by clicking on the link on the top right of this page!